Welcome, Guest. Please Login
vTask Homepage

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Unable to resolve / display the multiplication of two variables (Read 2024 times)
fizzpop
Full Member (10+)

Unable to resolve / display the multiplication of two variables
May 3rd, 2015 at 8:37am

Hi,
a newbie frustration - I am trying to display the results of multiplying two variables. See step26. Tried lots of combinations of VALUE, quotes, curly braces, round brackets, simple/no/all variable substitution. Searching your help for asterisk shows no arithmetic example. The variable display insists on displaying characters not the results of the arithmetic. I have just installed VTask v7.88.
Embarrassed

paytoday1.vxm (4 KB | 189 )

IP Logged

vTask Support

Tucson, AZ
Re: Unable to resolve / display the multiplication of two variables
Reply #1 - May 3rd, 2015 at 11:58am

Quote:
Searching your help for asterisk shows no arithmetic example.

The
second example provided in help
is an arithmetic example.

As stated in the help immediately following the arithmetic example, you need to add an equals sign to any mathematical calculations, just like in Excel.  Also, use "Full Variables Expansion" option.  This is the default and there are very few reasons to change it.  By changing it to Single or None expansion, you are telling vTask to show the variable names instead of their value.

Change your line #26 to the following and everything works as expected.

Thank you for using vTask Studio!
IP Logged

fizzpop
Full Member (10+)

Reply #2 - May 3rd, 2015 at 9:47pm

Slap forehead here...  Roll Eyes
As I said, I searched for arithmetic of the times asterisk so I did not see the addition example.
Thought the issue of variable substitution was related to the asterisk.
I had been struggling for 2 days on this problem, sometimes the most obvious thing is the hardest to find.
Hmm.. in my defense, if you do a "set variable" of varname equals value, the steps source listing inserts an equals sign
so that looks the same as when you insert the equals sign into the step source yourself.
A newbie gotcha...
Thanks!   Smiley

IP Logged

vTask Support

Tucson, AZ
Reply #3 - May 3rd, 2015 at 11:43pm

fizzpop wrote on May 3rd, 2015 at 9:47pm:
Hmm.. in my defense, if you do a "set variable" of varname equals value, the steps source listing inserts an equals sign

That's true, the equals sign does get displayed in the listview display.  There are lots of things that get "beautified" in the list view (that are not actually present in the script) to make commands more human-readable.  This example did indeed mask the fact that the equals was missing, sorry about that.

Glad it's working for you again, and thanks for coming back to let us all know how it turned out.

Thank you for using vTask Studio!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print